Cupping therapy is a form of alternative medicine in which a local suction is created on the skin. Through suction, the skin is drawn into the cup by creating a vacuum in the cup placed on the skin over the targeted area. The cup is usually left in place for somewhere between five and fifteen minutes. It is believed to help treat pain, deep scar tissues in the muscles and connective tissue, muscle knots, and swelling. Cupping targets soft tissue by applying local pressure to pain points and areas of swelling. As blood flow increases within vessels and capillaries, tissues receive much-needed nutrients and oxygen.
Some possible benefits of Cupping Therapy
- Helps Reduce Pain - Cupping is thought to release tissues deep inside the body, relax tense muscles and ease stiffness associated with chronic back and neck pains, migraines, rheumatism, and fatigue.
- Promotes Relaxation - Cupping often allows people to enter a more relaxed state since it sedates the central nervous system.
- Boosts Skin Health - Cupping is used to reduce herpes, cellulite, acne and skin inflammation.
- Helps Treat Respiratory Issues and Colds - Cupping therapy can be useful for speeding up healing time from respiratory illnesses like the flu or common colds by clearing away phlegm or congestion. Cupping has been associated with reductions in lung diseases, allergies, infections and asthma.
- Improves Digestion - Cupping therapy has been found to be beneficial for people with frequent stomach pains, diarrhea, acute gastritis, loss of appetite, gastrointestinal diseases and water retention.
What to expect
The client lays down and the practitioner begins by lightly massaging oil onto the skin. The practitioner uses a pump to place plastic cups on the targeted area, by creating a suction on the skin. The plastic cups are left in place for a period of time, while the practitioner uses a silicone cup to massage other areas, not already covered. The plastic cups are removed and then placed on other areas which require attention. Cupping therapy should not hurt, when done properly, and most client's find the treatment relaxing and feel a sense of release when the cups are removed.